Wednesday, September 9, 2009

As you know, we decided to give Rowan another chance at attending school today. This time I was there most of the time and was really able to get a handle on the situation so here goes.

Once he entered the class room he seemed to settle down quite quickly. Today was a lot easier for him than yesterday although he did still cry quite a bit. I noticed that he only really cried between activities and because he is not used to the idea of doing things by himself, he doesn't start any new activities on his own and thus he keeps his teachers on their toes.

One thing that I was surprised about was to see how well he did at circle time. When they told them to go to the mat he promptly went over and sat down exactly where he was supposed to. He stayed there for the duration of the lesson. The reason I was surprised by this is that Rowan has up until now, not felt comfortable in such formal group settings. This was very encouraging.

I was able to speak to the principal of the school about how we feel about Rowan's rate of adjustment and our concern that he might not be ready for school just yet. She suggested that we bring him in tomorrow and Friday for an hour each time, to see if the continuity will help him settle a little easier. So that's what we will do.

The nicest part of this day for Rowan and I was when he finally got to walk out of the school building. As he stepped out I pulled up with the car and stopped right in front of him. When he saw me, his crying immediately turned to a very very loud and excited "Yay!!!" as he waved his arm so high and so vigorously that it made all the other parents in the line behind me smile and say: "Aw, poor little guy." What a day!
Print this post

No comments:

Post a Comment