Monday, June 29, 2009

I have always had a kind of love hate relationship with the kids playgrounds of today.

I don't normally like them because they are too colourful and synthetic. I prefer the older wooden structures where the child can be in close contact with natural materials, textures and colours - all together it lends itself to a much richer experience of place.

Having said that I will now admit that I actually like them for the very same reasons that I mentioned above. Colour is great. It seems to really excite Rowan. He spots these playgrounds from a long distance away. The bright colours give the whole experience a sort of carnival atmosphere. The highly finished frameworks of these structures are clean and splinter free. The pipes even produce a multitude of lovely sounds and tones when you drum against them.

So, I have come to the conclusion that it is good to expose Rowan to all types of play structures and environments. Each one brings with it it's own valuable attributes and broadens his frame of reference. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it. I might still cringe a little when I see those bright monstrosities in the distance but I will remind myself of this post and set my mind at ease again and if that doesn't work I will just look for that smile on Rowan's face when he encounters something new, challenging and exciting.




Print this post

No comments:

Post a Comment