Saturday, January 2, 2010

Untitled

This evening we thought we would take our potty training to our number one store. (Ha ha!) We have been couped up at home all day (doing really well at the potty training) and really needed to get out. So we grabbed our coats, gloves and courage as we headed to IKEA.

As we arrived I explained to Rowan that we had to use the potty before we get to play with all the toys and he gladly followed. I was amazed to find that he was still completely dry even after we got stuck in traffic for a very long time and to cut a long and boring story short I will just say that he did it! I was elated!

As we walked through the aisles I was all smiles, not because of all the items on sale but because I felt such joy in the fact that we had achieved such success so quickly after starting potty training. I also couldn't help but think of my good friend Lynn because she wrote a blog about finding the joy and spirit of Christmas at Walmart in her post entitled Spirit of Christmas on Sale at Walmart. So I was very tempted to name this post Joy on Sale at IKEA but just didn't have the guts to do it even though I had even more good reasons to do so.

You see, not only did Rowan successfully use the potty, he also for some or other reason chose IKEA as the place to blurt out his very first clearly articulated sentence as we were passing through the cafeteria. "I want a juice." he said with every little sound vocalised perfectly. Not only that! Later on, after months of calling water, juice, he decided to say water! In an American accent too! How's that for progress? As we were sitting at a table overlooking the escalators he waved at the people saying: "Hi people!" - another word he has never used before! And then, as we were getting ready to leave and he noticed all the dessert was gone he very casually uttered the following: "Cake is gone. Bugger!" Richard and I looked at each other in disbelief and when Rowan repeated it we burst out laughing! What fun!

Well, there you have it. Another great day. This year is off to a very good start.
Print this post

3 comments:

  1. I'm very inspired by the fact that you post every day. Maybe I will make my resolution to post twice a week...

    And you are welcome to take my title and twist it...imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, right? I love it!

    As for potty training...just let me know if you need encouragement. I found my boy to be the hardest (maybe not all boys are hard, but the general consensus seems to be that they are harder to potty train than girls). It made me feel so much better, after months of failures, when someone said, "Don't bother trying until he's 3 1/2." I had no idea! The girls were around 2-2 1/2! And what do you know? 3 1/2 was the magic age for him. He was somewhat potty trained before that, but most of the difficulty subsided at 3 1/2. So be patient! I wish I would have been a little more patient...sometimes I was very frustrated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lynn, well I realised that if I don't post every day I run the risk of never posting at all. That just seems to be the way I am with many things... Anyway...

    So far the potty training is going very well. We only had one accident today. Tomorrow Rowan starts school again and I hope it will continue to go well. It is tiring though, right? I am quite tired of nagging and asking the little guy all day long. I am sure he is feeling the same way.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done Rowan, Mom and Dad :)

    ReplyDelete